Monday, October 4, 2010

Upcoming Glory? Can Only Hope

So the last of my local teams that have mold and turned me into the sports fan that I am today is most likely the team that will give me an ulcer before I die.  Don't ask me why exactly but it seems as if I have the most emotional connection with the New York Jets.  Since the mid-90s, the time I can recall most of the individual seasons, I can remember only two seasons ending positively.  But since no Super Bowl was won, I guess not too positive.  But all of those other seasons; bad, worse and worst.

3 and 13.  1 and 15.  Leon's toss.  Vinny's Achilles.  Chad's shoulder, three of them.  Doug O'Brien missed kicks.  Mangenious.   And none of those include the miserable nightmares that I couldn't witness myself, such as the Mud Bowl and the Fake Spike.  We were the laughing stock of the NFL.  The team that just could not get 'it' and made its fans suffer the consequences.  And that's right, I said we.  The fans are a part of this team as much as any set of fans in the country.  We're out there every home Sunday, screaming at the J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS as best as we can, but we always seem to end in heart break.

But times are a changing it seems.  Rex Ryan and his loud, loud mouth enter the franchise.  They move ahead and draft the Sanchise, Mark Sanchez.  The defense becomes dominant, one of the best in the NFL.  A breath of a fresh air has blown through the New Jets Stadium and the fans believe.  This season has a been a great one so far... so far.  There's still a long way to go.  A long way to go to the Super Bowl.  To extinguishing all of those past memories.  But it does seem as if the 'Same ole Jets' are dead and gone.  So that is a step in the right direction.

No comments: