Monday, October 4, 2010

I've seen a championship... Actually, 3 of them

Finally a team that has given me many more good moments than sour ones.  The New Jersey Devils franchise has been one of class, consistency, grace, and wins.  Early on in their existence there were more than a few people who though the team was nothing more than a joke; a rag doll for their neighbors on the other side of the Hudson.  But from 1994 until the present, no no.  That's just not the case.  Three Stanley Cups (1995, 2000, 2003) will quickly change a person's perception. 

My first memories of the Devils were the end of the season and the playoff in 1994.  That year ended in defeat for the Devils, losing in Game 7, at Madison Square Garden, to the Rangers, in OT.  But, that's okay, it happens.  You see, that year marked the rookie season for Martin Brodeur.  The rest is history to be honest.  But something happened the following season.  The Devils became a dominant road team in the playoffs and became the first and only team to win the Stanley Cup by not having home ice advantage in the playoffs; capping off their first Stanley Cup with a four game sweep of the Red Wings.  Two other Stanley Cups followed within the next eight years.

This organization has always been a rock for me when it comes to sports.  I understand that they will not with the Cup every season, I'm not stupid, I know it can't be every year (even though it better happen again soon, I'm getting ansy).  Yet I know that every season they will be competitive, they will play hard, they will make the playoffs, they be exciting, they may dominate, they will play the greatest ever who also happens to be my favorite athlete of all time.  It's a comfort to know all of that.  To have a sense of pride that when you tell someone who your favorite team is, you know in your heart that there is no chance any person can knock them.  The Nets?  Too easy.  The Red Bulls?  Just think of their existence.  Mets?  Haha, oh man.  But not the Devils.  There's nothing there to knock, nothing to step on.

I have no clue how this season will play out.  Signing Ilya Kovalchuk to a long term deal is fantastic because it gives the Devils another legitimate offensive weapon behind Zach Parise.  But will Brodeur lose a step?  Will the roster shrink to much to get under the salary cap?  Will new coach John MacLean be able to win right away?  All of that will be answered shortly... however I have a feeling, I'll be smiling come spring.

No comments: