Monday, October 4, 2010

Let's start with the 'Ehhhh... Luke, luke warm'

The New Jersey Nets.  I'll start right off the bat by proclaiming I am not the biggest basketball fan on this earth and I'm probably less of a NBA fan.  However, I am a sports fan and with the Nets practically being in my backyard growing up, I figured I might as well cheer for them.

Wasn't able to do much cheering during the 90s with this team.  Then, all of a sudden, the blockbuster of a trade that results in Jason Kidd coming to down changes the entire dynamic of the team and organization.  Holy heck, they start winning!  And in some cases, dominating!  I would call it dominating, since they reached the NBA Finals in back to back seasons... damn you Spurs and Lakers for being better.

But as with most things in life, good things must come to an end.  A jerk of a man, Bruce Ratner, purchased the team, decided that he wanted to relocate the franchise to Brooklyn, forced management to get rid of money (read: Good Players), and the team tanks.  I meant it when I said I was a luke warm fan of this team.  In the 2008-2009 season the Nets were poor and came no where close to making the playoffs so I no real desire to watch them the following season.  It ended up being a great call on my behalf as the Nets went 12-70 last season and I hardly watched.

However, a new season is almost upon us and guess what?  I'll be there, Opening Night, at the Prudential Center (the Nets new, stop-gap home for two seasons before the Brooklyn move) watching this new and young Nets team open their season against the Pistons.  Why?

No comments: