Saturday, June 2, 2012

Nohan, Johan

For Mets fans, last night, June 1st, 2012, the stars aligned in the galaxy and the spot light was able to shine on the proud, but beleaguered organization they love to root for.

In their 51st season of existence, Johan Santana pitched a no-hitter at Citi Field for the first no-hitter in Mets history.

In the past, seven players had left the Mets and went on to throw no-hitters for other clubs.  35 times the Mets were able to toss a one-hitter.  But never was there a no-no.  Only two teams in baseball were able to say that, and now, that number is down to one lonely team.

When I opened my score app on my iPhone last night to check in on the score, I froze for a moment.  It was the top of the 8th, one out, and I saw that Johan had the no-hitter going.  I struggled to tell my fiance this, I was afraid that I would jinx it if I said those words.  But I mentioned it and immediately whipped our the iPad to watch the game live, simultaneously calling my father to make sure the biggest Mets fan that I know was awake to watch this.

Swing and a miss, strike three on David Freese, ball game over, no-hitter complete, history made.


As big of a moment as last night was for Mets fans, it's a bigger moment for the man.  There couldn't be a better person right now who Mets fans would want to toss that historic moment.  A man who came to the club years ago and worked so hard to be the best pitcher he possibly could be.  A man who last year spent the entire season in Florida, rehabbing his surgically repaired shoulder.  A man who takes the responsibility as this team's ace very, very seriously.  #57.  Johan Santana.

No comments: