Monday, April 25, 2011

Vacation Again?

So maybe I should plan another trip away?  Maybe for the rest of the baseball season?

First off, I'm a bit tired since I got back this morning and only had an hour's worth of sleep last night, so if this post doesn't necessarily make sense or run smoothly, I'm blaming it on the drive home.

When I left my apartment Wednesday evening, the Mets were 5-12 and things were just looking bleak all around.  No quality outings, a bullpen that got hit harder than Sonny Bono hitting a tree, and an offensive line-up showing that their bats were made out of a Swiss wood, aka, nothing but holes in their sticks.  And sure enough, they lost Wednesday night.  A lot of the same issues flared their ugly heads that night.

But what happened next is a little bit of awesomeness.  New York played four games, which started while I was in a different state, and they were able to take all four of those games.  The finale against Houston and then a weekend sweep of the Diamondbacks.  Citi Field became the place to be for a few days.  Capuano, Pelfrey(!!!), Dickey, and Niese all put up solid, solid performances that allowed the bullpen to get some much needed, extended rest.  The whooping sticks that us fans thought would be around all season long started to gain some life.  Wright ended his horrible 0-20 skid by blasting some doubles and home runs.  Davis showed that he may actually hit the ball out of Citi Field one of these days.  Hell, the team hit its first 3-run home run of the season and it came off the bat of Jason Pridie!  Reyes and Bay (welcome back) and Beltran, oh my!

I know, I know, sweeping the Diamondbacks isn't the biggest deal in the world, I mean, they are (record wise) pretty close to the Mets.  But for this team, this week, in this fashion, it was a huge, huge, huge weekend.  And two more nuggets to further prove someone should plan me a trip away.  Good Bye Rangers.  Good Bye Knicks.

No comments: